Pain under left breast and rib cage can be painful as well as scary. It is possible for many people to think that it is a symptom of breast cancer, heart attack or even severe infection. This symptom is very worrisome only because it is very close to the heart. The truth is that the causes of pain under your left breast could be gastrointestinal, musculoskeletal, injury to your left side, inflammation of your muscle, bone etc. that can give a rise to this pain.
Symptoms of Pain Under Left Breast And Rib Cage
Symptoms are very important as the nature of this pain can help the doctors identify the causes of pain. Though there are a number of reasons, however; symptoms of the pain help the doctors a lot to know the real causes. This disease can come as a burning pain, sharp pain, aching sensation or throbbing. It is totally unrelated to the menstrual cycle of the women. This pain can be fleeting, it can last for days or it can come or go. Hormonal pain can affect your both breast, but as it is only the pain under your left breast so it is noncyclical. The patient can also experience chest pain, bloating, shortness of breath, heartburn, nausea or even vomiting.
Causes of Pain Under Left Breast And Rib Cage
Here are the most common causes of pain under your left breast that can be responsible:
- Hiatal Hernia: When any part of your stomach protrudes through your esophageal hiatus into your chest cavity, this may cause hiatal hernia. If the size of the opening of hiatal is larger than the normal size, this condition may occur. Heartburn can also cause burning sensation. Carbonated beverages, fatty food can trigger this condition. The patient may also experience bloating after meal, chest pain and shortness of breath.
- Costochondritis: This is also known as chest wall pain. The possible cause of this condition is the repeated trauma. The junctions of the costochondral could become inflamed due to fungal, bacterial or viral respiratory infection. Normally the person who is affected by the inflamed intercostal muscle can experience irritant breathing problem. For this patient this pain can be worsen while taking deep breath, sneezing or even coughing.
- Gastritis: It is one of the common causes of pain under your left breast. Inflammation of the stomach lining is normally known as gastritis. Stomach lining can be inflamed due to the infection that is caused by pathogens. Normally gastritis is caused by the bacterial agents and it could be transmitted by the consumption of water or food. A patient who is affected by this problem could experience this pain. There are some other symptoms that they could experience like vomiting, abdominal pain, indigestion, nausea and bloating.
- Heart Problem: Heart problem often causes pain under your left breast. You may experience squeezing chest pain or even you may feel tightness in the left chest that occurs only because of the reduction of the supply of oxygenated blood to your heart muscle. There is a huge possibility that the patient may experience angina and it is basically associated with the coronary artery spams. The risk factors for these conditions are smoking, high cholesterol, blood pressure, obesity and alcohol abuse. The patient may also shoulder, jaw, neck or even back pain. The sensation of pressure, heartburn or even squeezing may cause distress.
- Flatulence: Excessive gas in your digestive tract can also cause pain under your left breast. Swallowing of air is the risk factor for flatulence. Normally the people who use straw while drinking cold drinks, juice or even the people who do eat without chewing properly may swallow more air. This could lead to more gas. Gas is trapped in the upper abdominal region and it starts to cause pain in the left side of your chest under your breast.
Treatment for Sharp Pain Under Left Breast And Rib Cage
Treatment begins before diagnosis because it is treated just like an emergency and there is no time to waste. The doctors first start to research their symptoms and after they are treated with the medications that are necessary for them. If doctors fail to find the possible causes of the pain then the doctors may recommend rest or even hot and cold compression. If the pain is due to strain or even injury, then the patients may try taking ibuprofen or acetaminophen to relieve pain in the affected area. However; the patient needs to follow the instructions of a doctor before they try any medications.
How to Prevent Pain Under Left Breast
You can control your pain under your left breast by making changes in the lifestyle. You can also follow the tips if you want to avoid pain under your left breast
- Control your weight
- Eat nutritious and balanced meal
- Try to avoid fatty foods
- Avoid any kind of strenuous activities
- Reduce stress
- Skip tobacco products and smoking
- Limit the amount of caffeine and alcohol
- Maintain a healthy diet and control blood pressure
- Follow a daily exercise routine to keep you healthy and strong
Paying attention to the pain under left breast can really produce life saving benefits. Creating perfect awareness to directly motivate the public to seek professional medical help along with the preventive measures will contribute a lot to minimize the fatalities from this pain. Home treatment of pain under your left breast basically depends on the causes of your pain. Minor pain often improves with the normal home remedies. You can also visit a doctor if you experience severe pain. Doctors normally analyze the medical history of a patient as well as also conduct physical examination to know the causes of the pain. The treatment options can also vary according to the causes of the pain. Drug therapy can help you a lot to get rid of this problem, however; doctor may also recommended surgery if your condition is serious.
Bouns Reading: Why do You Have Pain under the Right Rib Cage