There are instances when people experience different types of pain all over the body. There are times when the pain that is experienced is under the rib cage. There are some people who experience this often because of different conditions but there are also some who experience this because of an injury. If you are also experiencing pain under the right rib cage, what you should do is gauge how serious the pain is and consult your doctor immediately.
Causes of Pain under the Right Rib Cage
As mentioned earlier, there are various possible causes for experiencing pain under the right rib cage. Some of the possible causes are the following:
- Gallbladder Condition – The digestive system will not function properly when one of the main parts is not working. The gallbladder is the organ that is located under the liver. It is usually in charge of reserving bile so that it can be released when needed. There are instances when the gallbladder has certain conditions which prevent it from doing its job properly. Usually, aside from experiencing pain under the right rib cage, people also experience pain on the right side of their abdomen.
- Appendicitis – There are some people who are not aware of the main reasons why the appendix exists. In the past, it was thought to be an organ that is not needed by the body but recent studies show that it may actually help in the whole digestive process. Appendicitis is the inflammation or rupture of the appendix. The pain may shoot up till the right rib cage. People who suspect that they have this condition are recommended to contact the doctor at the soonest possible time.
How to Know if You Have Appendicitis
- Acid Reflux – Acid reflux is the condition wherein they feel that their stomach acids are preventing them from taking in food because the acids are too much. There are even times when taking medications can be a big problem too. Acid reflux may cause pain not only near the abdomen but near the right rib cage as well.
- Hernia – There are some people who do not get what Hernia is. It is a condition wherein a portion of the stomach is open near the chest cavity. This can limit the food that can enter the esophagus and can cause digestive problems later on which in turn will lead to having pain under the right rib cage.
- Typhoid Fever – There was a time when typhoid fever was common and very popular but right now, not a lot of people experience this but it can still be possibly experienced by people who are exposed to the Salmonella Typhi bacteria.
- Ectopic Pregnancy – Pregnancy usually is good news to new mothers but ectopic pregnancy can be very dangerous for women. It involves the development of the embryo within the fallopian tube and this can cause pain and discomfort to women. Some women experience the pain more than other women.
- Ulcers – The causes of ulcer are usually the use of medications and sometimes the presence of bacteria that cause the stomach lining to bleed. Ulcer is not a condition that will go away eventually. People would have to seek treatment for it before it worsens and develops into other more serious conditions.
- Intake of Too Much Vitamins – There are instances when people feel that taking in a lot of vitamins will be good for their health. This is not the case at all. In fact, people are recommended to take in just enough vitamins to supply their daily needs. People who take too much vitamins can experience some discomfort for a few days even after taking the vitamins has already been stopped.
- Costochondritis – This is the condition wherein the costal cartilage becomes inflamed and eventually affects the rib cage.
- Rib Injuries – There are times when people assume that the ribs are very hard to break because they are usually very storm but actually, experiencing some troubles and accidents can still cause the rib cage to break eventually. Some fractures are not detected early but can cause a whole lot of pain around the chest area.
Best Treatments for Pain under the Right Rib Cage
Based on the things that are mentioned above, it is very obvious that there are different treatments that can help cure people’s problems about the pain that they are experiencing under their rib cage. Most of the time, pain is caused by digestive problems so it is obvious that people would have to undergo the following treatments for that:
- Avoid Fatty Food – Food products that are high in fat and cholesterol may be digested much slower by the body. This can cause the stomach acids to become too much and may eventually cause heartburn or pain under the rib cage.
- Take Medications – Depending on the prescription of the doctor, certain medications will be recommended. For instance, antibiotics may help cure Typhoid fever but there are also some other drugs that should be taken to eventually cure the other conditions mentioned above.
- Undergo Surgery – For some of the conditions mentioned above, undergoing surgery is already inevitable which means that people would truly have to undergo the surgery in order to get better. Operation is necessary especially for making sure that tumors are removed although sometimes, medications can already do the trick but surgery is required for people who are suffering from rib fractures.
One thing that should be remembered by people is that prevention is always better than cure. Taking care of the digestive system and the body overall can help prevent the onset of any type of pain. If the pain under the rib cage happens often and is becoming more painful each time, it is possible that the person would need to seek professional help at the soonest possible time. There are some people who are unable to seek medical help immediately for pain on right side under ribs and they have ended up with more serious diseases than the ones they have started with.