What time do you normally go to bed? There are some people who cannot go to sleep before 2 AM. Some even have to wait for the sun to come up before they can sleep well. This is not considered normal but some people who have grown used to this may think that they are just going through their usual routine.
There is a possibility that you are aware of how tired you are and yet, the moment that you get to bed, you do not know how you can go to sleep. You try out different sleeping positions but you still fail to make yourself go to sleep. It can leave you with a bad feeling. You check your clock often and you know that no matter how hard you try, you just cannot lure yourself to go to sleep.
A lot of people experience this problem even if most of them would not admit it. This is more common than what most people think. There are some people who have tried to go to the doctor who have prescribed some pills. They have tried the advice of other people regarding what they can do to sleep better but at the end of the day, they end up lying awake.
When people are unable to sleep, there may be different reasons for it. You may be able to sleep better once you figure out what is causing you to lose sleep. For example, are you losing sleep because you are depressed? Things are not going according to plan and you do not know what to do anymore. This is one of the possible reasons why you are suffering from insomnia.
Other Reasons for Insomnia
It is important that you understand what causes you to lose sleep. Here are some possible reasons:
- Nasal Issues – Whether you are suffering from allergies or the flu, the fact that you cannot breathe through your nose will make it harder for you to go to sleep.
- Gastrointestinal problems – Are you having some stomach problems recently? The pain may keep you up at night especially if you constantly feel the need to vomit but when you do try, nothing comes out.
- Stress – Even if you are trying your best to forget about the things that caused you to feel stressed out with work or even at home, the thoughts still run through your mind. Overthinking and continuously feeling stressed about these things will allow you to feel even more stressed out than ever.
- Changes in Lifestyle – Have you gone through a recent change that your body has not adjusted to yet? This is a possible reason to undergo insomnia but the moment you adjust, you can go back to your normal sleeping routine.
- Uncomfortable Bed or Room – If you are just sleeping over at someone else’s bed, this can make you more anxious about your surroundings and will stop you from sleeping as well as you would like to sleep.
There are still other reasons for insomnia. The ones mentioned above are simple causes but remember that there are other people who suffer from insomnia because of serious health conditions. When you have not been sleeping well for more than a week or so, go to the doctor and get a checkup. This will help you figure out what is wrong with you.
Bad Effects of Insomnia
Do you know that after a night with no sleep, there are so many changes that can happen with your body? In fact, your body will find it hard to recover from it. Its risk of acquiring various diseases like cardiovascular diseases and diabetes will increase. Here are some of the possible negative side effects that you will experience when you have insomnia:
- Moodiness – Since you have not been able to get enough sleep for quite some time, you cannot help but become potentially annoyed with the smallest things. Even details that do not set you off may anger you.
- Lack of Motivation – Since you are unable to let your body rest well, you may sometimes feel that you do not know what to do with your life anymore. You may be doing work simply because you have to do it and not because your heart and mind are into it.
- Tense – You have experienced this before when you tried to go through a few days without sleep. The slightest noise may surprise you and you may even jump up in surprise when someone taps you lightly on the shoulder. The tension will be evident and will be noticed by the people around you.
- You feel overwhelmed with everything – Instead of doing the tasks in a logical manner, you tend to become overwhelmed with everything and not do any of the tasks. This can lead to delays and problems in the future.
- Your risk of getting diseases and dying also increase – When your risk of acquiring diseases increase and you still do not get enough sleep, you cause these diseases to progress faster which can affect your mortality rate.
You already know the different things you may experience when you have insomnia. It can be even worse when you have chronic insomnia which means that you have not been able to sleep properly for the past 3 months or so. What are you supposed to do about it?
12 Useful Tips That May Help You Fight Insomnia
Provided that your insomnia is not caused by a chronic condition, there are some things that you can do to get rid of your insomnia naturally.
1. Allow yourself to relax even before you go to bed. You may want to listen to music that usually soothes you or something that you like. This will help you lessen the stress and anxiety that you are feeling because of the things that you have gone through. We already know that lullabies are able to make babies sleep so there is no reason why listening to sounds you like will not help you fall asleep too.
2. Try to avoid using your gadgets before going to bed. You may think that this is something that you can use in order to fall asleep but gadgets usually emit Electromagnetic Fields that will make you uncomfortable when you wake up in the morning. If you have woken up with sore muscles and fatigue, this can be caused by the use of gadgets prior to sleeping.
3. Make sure that the temperature of your room is just enough to help you sleep well. The more comfortable the temperature is, the easier it will be for you to sleep. A room that is too cold or too warm may cause anxiety.
4. Make sure that you will not eat 4 hours before you go to bed. This will give your body enough time to digest the food before you start resting. If you eat a heavy meal before going to bed, you may end up tossing and turning because your body is still trying to digest all of the food that you have eaten. At the same time, eating close to your bed time will make your body pack some extra pounds.
5. Make sure that there is no direct light that will hit your face when you are trying to sleep. One of the hardest things to do is trying to go to sleep when light is shining on your face. If the light is coming from the outside, have curtains or blinds placed on your windows. If you cannot sleep without light, having a small light on the side of the room will help just as long as the light is not shining directly on your face.
6. Drink chamomile tea. If you want one of the remedies that can help you sleep better at night, chamomile tea can be very effective. This can be very soothing and will allow you to sleep better especially when you are having a hard time.
7. Do not try to think about thoughts that will surely keep you up. Now is not the time to think about the report that is due the next day or the fact that you have not heard from your partner for two days after a fight. You are also discouraged from talking to yourself because for sure, you will get distracted. The more distracted you are, the harder it will be for you to go to sleep.
8. Follow a bedtime ritual that your body will grow accustomed to so that your body will know when it is time to go to sleep. For example, after checking your social media accounts, you can wash your face and brush your teeth. You may start doing your skin care routine. You can listen to soothing sounds or you may even meditate while sitting down. Make sure that you do these things consistently so that it can become a habit. Your body will find it easier to adjust to your new bedtime ritual that will help you sleep better.
9. Avoid going to bed hungry. It is true that you should not eat food about 4 hours before you go to bed at night but before that, you should eat. If you don’t, then your chances of getting painful and uncomfortable heartburn will be more likely. When your body is fixated on food, your hormones will tell you that all you should do is eat. If in case you feel the need to snack on something, you may choose to get yogurt or some vegetable sticks.
10. Exercise throughout the day. When you do a lot of activities during the day, this will allow your body to know that night time is for resting and sleeping. You may need to establish an exercise routine. This may not be easy in the beginning but you will get used to this the more that you do it. Through exercising, you will also help your body lose excess weight so you will not develop some sleeping problems that are caused by obesity.
11. You should try to avoid smoking too close to bedtime. Have you ever wondered why you normally feel more awake after smoking? It is because of the nicotine that is present in cigarettes. Nicotine is a stimulant and it may help you stay awake longer than you would like. You should also remember that smoking is bad for your health in general. The more that you smoke, the more that you increase your chances of acquiring health diseases and conditions.
12. When you cannot sleep, get out of bed. This is better than tossing and turning. The more that you do this, the more anxious you are going to sleep. You can get out of bed and try to do something that will relax you. If you need to do yoga before going to bed, this will be up to you. If it is possible, try to move the clock in your bedroom to a place where you cannot see it. The more that you see how much time has passed since you tried to sleep, the more anxious you will become about not sleeping.
The tips that are mentioned above are just some of the things that you can do to get rid of insomnia. If you are still not sure about the cause, you can go to the doctor soon. The doctor will check if you have any disease that may be contributing to your insomnia.
If the doctor says that there is nothing wrong with your health, then you may also be recommended to go through behavior consultations. The therapist will determine if you are doing something that is stopping you from going to sleep at night.
When you cannot sleep at night, do not panic. Try to determine the cause of your restlessness. Try to relax. The moment that you start relaxing, this usually allows you to become sleepy and eventually, you can let your body rest well so you will wake up with a smile on your face in the morning.